What are Chemical Peels?
Chemical peels help to improve the appearance of the skin and face. A chemical solution is applied to the face that causes peeling. This procedure is beneficial in reducing superficial wrinkles, freckles and age spots and mild acne scarring.
There are several options for chemical peels:
- Light peels: A mild acid is used to penetrate the outmost layer of the skin and gently exfoliate it. This treatment is used to improve the appearance of the skin in cases of mild skin discoloration and rough skin.
- Medium peels: An acid is used to penetrate the out and middle layers of the skin, removing damaged skin cells. Conditions that would benefit from a medium peel include age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, freckles, and some pre-cancerous skin growths such as actinic keratosis.
- Deep peels: An acid is used to penetrate deep into the middle layer of skin. This procedure is helpful to treat age spots, freckles, moderate lines and shallow scars.
What To Expect
- Length of Time For The Procedure: 30-45 minutes
- Recovery Time: There is little to no downtime following the procedure. Patients will experience peeling within 2-3 days following the procedure.
- Final Results of the Procedure: One week
- Duration of Peel: Chemical Peels may be repeated every 4-6 weeks as necessary.